Share
Ancajas to make first title defense in Macau

Ancajas to make first title defense in Macau

One of the country’s world champions plans to start the year with a bang!

Reigning IBF World Super Flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas (25-1-1, 16KOs) faces Mexican Jose Alfredo Rodriguez (32-4, 19KOs) in his first title defense on Sunday, January 29, at the Studio City Resort and Casino in Macau, China.

“Tuloy na po [yung laban],” Ancajas told Tiebreaker Times.

The 24-year-old southpaw, who is the world champion produced by Manny Pacquiao’s promotion, bagged the 155-pound crown last September after a sensational 12-round performance against previously-unbeaten Puerto Rican McJoe Arroyo in Taguig City.

“This fight with Rodriguez has been in the works for the last few weeks, and now it’s time to get Jerwin busy,” Ancajas adviser Sean Gibbons told ESPN.

“He is one of the best at 115 pounds in the world, and with a little more experience, he’ll be right there with all the top guys in the division, guys like [titleholder] Roman Gonzalez and [former titlist Carlos] Cuadras. He just needs a little more experience.”

Rodriguez previously held an interim junior flyweight crown back in 2011. This will be his second time facing a Filipino, having dropped a unanimous decision loss to now-interim IBF World Light Flyweight champion Milan Melindo three years ago in Quezon City.

Also fighting in the undercard is Filipino super bantamweight Drian Francisco (28-4-1, 22KO). The former interim WBA World title holder at 112 pounds will make his first appearance in the boxing ring since November 2015 against a yet-to-be-named opponent.